Tuesday, November 28, 2006

TRANSFORMATION



It seems that lots of Bloggers have been talking about butterflies of late. Is there something going on in our collective consciousness? Or is it just inspiration from other people talking about them? I have noticed anyway, and so here is my contribution.

Butterflies are special to me, because my mum loved them (one of our names for her was 'Little Moth'). As a baby Pod, she would lie with me on the 'bumblebee mat' in the garden and she would show me all the flowers and we would watch bees and butterflies and beetles going about their daily business. As a young girl, Little Moth was given a butterfly wing in a blue and silver necklace. When she heard classical music for the first time on the radio, she didn't know what to do. She was so exhilarated that she bit the pendant, and it still has her little bite mark in it. Toward the end of her life, when she was sick, one time she rushed over to my sister's house all in an apparent panic. All she could say was 'come! come! quick!'. Expecting a drama, my sister ran over and mum led her to the garden, and pointed to the shed, which was magically covered in a wall of fluttering butterflies. They stood together and shed a tear, but just because it was a beautifully happy moment.

There are many more butterfly stories. They have often been present at important times. However, I shan't go on, except to say that about a year after she died, I was seized suddenly by sadness. I had to lie on the floor and I cried from the bottom of my soul. When I eventually stopped sobbing and looked up, two butterflies were dancing in the window for what seemed like ages. I stood up, and one flew in and settled on my nose. It was Little Moth reminding me that really she is still around. I smiled and everything was ok again. I was reassured. My sister later said that the butterfly must have thought that my nose was a stalk and my face a little flower!

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross in 'The Wheel Of Life' talks about butterflies too, but I can't properly remember exactly what she says. The point being that they seem important in some way. The Native American Indians believe that they symbolise the air and the mind and the ability to know or change the mind, and that butterfly medicine gives clarity and aids the process of transformation. And so if you are noticing butterflies a lot, they might be asking you to think about where you are in your cycle of evolution and what you need to do next to transform into something even more beautiful than you already are. Or maybe it is someone you love coming to say hello, and reminding you that we do live in beautiful world?

Anyhow, I waffle, so suffice to say thank you to all butterflies, whatever your message to us all is.....

Thanks to Molly , Eleuktra, and Wendz for inspiring this post.

I know this is a bit corny, but hey......

UPDATE - another very scary story involving a butterfly has also just emerged. Read all about it here

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again... A great post!
Thank you for the praise, but in fact you are you know how to keep the attention with your descriptions...

And the butterfly flew! ;)

7:49 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

:O)

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I have to be less busy and check this more often, I just did a whole post on Godzilla v. Mothra (1964) and had no idea there was a theme going for Tuesday. Dang it.
Well, I will be back.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A wall of butterflies....
I just added my Poughkeepsie "Little Moth" to the Mothra post. I have always felt it was the best photo I ever took. I was taken with a cheap old camera right outside my sad-looking house filled with sad-looking people I had to live with for a year. The place was a rubbish heap and I was always impressed how it turned out.
It had died a short time before and I really propped it up on the branch, which discredits the whole shot angle, but I sent it off wihtout mentioning the dead part to my dad, who's never liked any photo I took, and he actually had good things to say about it. I was most shocked. It's become a joke between the two of us: that we should carry along a butterfly to make a snapshot look interesting.
...but Pod, what has hatched this new photo?

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pod, no your post isn't in the least corny. It was beautiful and from the heart and I appreciate you sharing it with us.

I have a friend who recently lost his wife and he deeply believes she lets him know she is still around by sending messingers in the form of butterflies.

And yes, my old barn fetish is weird.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Pod said...

EARITH - i beg to differ. you use words much more eloquently than i ;0)

LETTUCE - good to see :0) not :0( x

JAMES - yes check more often you big slacker!! get your priorities right i say! had a larf at your godzilla post, got totally sucked in you bugger! i may steal your dead butterfly idea also, hope you dont mind. not sure my dad appreciates my photos either, but i like yours and it seems you like mine, so hurrah

FAYE - thanks you. you had snow too! not fair!

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so so beautiful.

xxxxx

9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely photograph, and a nice story to go with. Mind you, I don't know how I would handle a whole wall of butterflies!!

[shudder]
Thanks for sharing
:D

10:04 PM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Dearest Pod, you have nearly made me cry. I think butterflies are so fragile and wonderful. All of life is within them, but their papery wings are so delicate. The tiny veins which run through them are like life, so fragile.

Pod, only know that all the things that you see around you are part of you and your mum. In the air and in the movements of leaves and the beautiful shell I sent you. I shall always send it to you, always. And the soft motion of the sea as it pulls and tugs inwards and outwards, forever. Things do not change. All is universal, the butterfly, the dolphin, the sun, the sea and your lovely soul.

Just as we live alongside each other, your mum stands beside you, with her soft hands guiding you.

Oh bloggy hell, now I am blubbing. Sorry.

You are lovely and special and always shall be.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Jozee said...

What a beautiful post, your mom's lovely and loving nickname, the wall of butterflies, your experience and your gorgeous shot.

I like your blog and I like you.

11:41 PM  
Blogger Inconsequential said...

:)

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheers for the link.

7:54 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Pod, what a moving post. Really. I think butterflies mean so much to people because they're so beautiful and yet so short-lived. Metaphorical, you know? Anyway, I always appreciate the openness and frankness with which you write about things. It's a pleasure to read a blog that is so, well, HONEST, in a blogosphere where many people seem consumed by the need to be pointlessly snarky. :)

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The symbolism of butterflies is seemingly endless. I love your Elizabeth Kubler-Ross reference, too; she was just so brilliant. It's also nice to see a picture of a grown up Pod in your profile now (not that you weren't adorable as a child). ;-)

11:48 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

But you're right, JDZS...he's even more adorable as an adult! :)

1:26 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

Lovely!

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes it was beautiful, but where is my comment that I left before?

That's what I want to know...

...must have flew
x

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did it again, a wonderful post as
so many has already said.
thank you for it.

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An amazing and touching story Pod. Butterflies are still quite magical to me. :-)

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well you know how much I love butterflies and that post was just great...beautiful. Thank you.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Pod said...

TESS - we live in beautiful world love xx

ELEUKTRA - i knew you would understand. little moth was truly special. i am lucky she was my mum. and i tip my cap to you, kind and equally wonderful gentle man

CHILLZERO - listen to 'love is like a butterfly' by dolly parton, twice daily for a fortnight, and all your butterfly fears will magically disappear!

MOLLY - she taught me the honesty and purity of love. i feel loved by her, and she knew i loved her, and that is all one can ask. physically we are no longer together, but spiritually we are closer. i love you so much my special special friend xx

JOZEE - thanks a nice thing to say. thank ye, you aint so bad yerself ;0)

INC - 8')

STEVE - thanks ever so. what a lovely thing to say. i feel comforted. and i agree, there's niought worse than pointless snark ;0)

JD - hello matey! yes, elizabeth was/is inspirational. all of her books are amazing.

STEVE & JD - how come you cheeky pair appear together hmm?

ASH - hello! and ta x

TRAC - i often leave comments with you, but the sometimes dont materialise. perhaps we receive them telepathically instead? i know you are out there anyway and that is enough xx

MIMMU - thank you kindly

DONNA - hello again. nice to see you! debbie magee isnt really very magical though is she? :0/

WEND - i am sure you are a longlost cousin of mine! hope things are settling down? x

9:38 AM  
Blogger Mutha said...

Lovely Pod. I have had red cardinals appear at my window when thinking of my dad and my brother, both gone for years now.
I smile thinking they are bird spirits, making their way to me.
Not one ounce corny.

1:19 PM  
Blogger heather said...

when my sister-in-law passed away from c.f., there were so many butterflies that came to the front yard of her house. More than I have ever seen in my whole life.
Butterflies do have special meaning for some of us, yes.

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovely picture and beyond that, a very moving story. It shows that feelings can be shared. I'll never look at a butterfly in the same way again. Thanks Pod!

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The monarch!

I don't know why we're all into this creature these days, but it's a beautiful little thing.

I have a friend who collects the word butterfly in as many languages as possible. He has noticed that it is beautiful in just about every one of them.

Butterfly, Papillon, Serurubele, in the languages I speak.

Nice post.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Pod said...

MUTHA - great to see you again! there is ceratinly something about them isnt there? i find it very reassuring. take care x

NATHALIE - c'et une pleasure madame :0/

RETHABILE - it is more than coincidence that they have been popping up recently. enjoyed some of your poems!

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home