Monday, December 04, 2006

DAMA DAMA DAMA



Well, it seems to have been an animal-themed week for some folk. This post was inspired by the talented Molly Bloom, a very 'deer' friend of mine.

A few miles away from where I grew up in Lincolnshire (UK), there is a fair-sized forest, Bourne Woods. Mum would sometimes take me as a little Pod, and I used to love it, frolicking about, disappearing into my own fantastical world. When I was about twenty perhaps, I revisited with my sister and my nephew Zak, who would have been about four. We ventured into the depths of the woods and ended up having to crawl on our hands and knees down a low tunnel that was formed by the lowest branches of a long row of pines. We came across an old skull, which we assumed must have been a deer as there were stubby little horns where antler once where I suppose.

As we studied it in awe, a shadow flickered at the end of the tunnel, which was probably another three metres away. All at once we looked up and our eyes landed on a fawn standing in silhouette. Hushed, we stared at it, and it stared back. The feeling seemed balanced between all of us, even Zak, a very active little boy, was silenced. Slowly the three humans turned to look at each other, tears in our eyes. The fawn bounced off.

We scrambled to the end of the woody tunnel, where we found a small stream. Just as I popped my head out, a herd of deer jumped the stream, and right at the back I saw a single flash of white. We had been given the privilege of seeing the rare white deer. I can't really remember what was said or done after that, except that when we left the forest and crossed the field to the car, we turned back and standing just beyond the trees was a huge stag, as still and proud as can be, so obviously King of the Woods. We stood astounded, and as I sent a mental 'thank you' he turned and strode back into the darkness of the woods..........

In a different kingdom, on bended knee I offer him a flower (did I catch a glimpse of Mr Tumnus too?).

I love you Molly...........

Take care me deers!

(this photo was taken in New Plymouth, New Zealand by the way)

14 Comments:

Blogger ramblingwoman said...

You stumbled into a cross between Bambi and Harry Potter world there pod!

What a lovely, lovely memory!

btw - hello! I like the grown up pod picture!

9:03 PM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

oh and having just read your other posts I feel I am now educated!

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Pod, you do have a magical way with words. You always remind of everything that is good about blogs! And yes, we can be pretty certain that Mr Tumnus was there (sadly he has forgotten his password or he would have visited and told you in person).

Hello Simon!

3:07 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

Dama dama dama - i was expecting something about Batman.

This was much more lovely and magical though.

Not that i don't like Batman also...danger of rambling here, I'll go away.

(esp. as Rambling woman is back to do it)

3:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful Bambi moment, I bought a vintage Bambi book at the weekend, spooky huh?

3:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There’s a reason people don’t crawl into tunnel-caves more often, I forget what it is now, but it’s out there somewhere.
Kids these days, frolicking wildly in the woods without a care for Lyme disease or a violently painful bear mauling in the world! You’re all out of control: put a ‘c’ in that little tyke’s name.
Back in my day, one wouldn’t think of going out unless it was absolutely certain they would be addressed by their full Judeo-Christian name. Think no one remembers, oh, G-d remembers.

I’m going to have check this forest out. Is it an old growth forest?
And to think of it, I could be following in the steps of Pod!

Back at my old college, which had been surrounded by nature until suburbia subdivided it, there was an excess of deer everywhere and they were always causing motorist accidents. At the local farm markets, people would always sell their homemade venison kilbasa, or some such probably unsanitary item.

4:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very other-worldly...I still get little thrilled chills when Bambies jump out from the forest in front of my car - esp. on a foggy winters night..now I shall think of you when that happens.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Oooh a white deer. That is so cool. I never knew that they existed. OOoooooh.

Thankyou for your kindness Pod. Pod used to indulge my liking for unicorns as well. Hee hee.

I spent so many hours in Bourne Woods as a child. It was so cool there. There was a path 'well travelled' but there were also acres of wood that were just waiting to be discovered. I've got a really cool photo of me standing, looking as round as ball, looking up at the sky, surrounded by bluebells. I might see if I can find it.

You are just wonderful Podders.

You should tell the story of Zak on that bouncy castle adventure thingy when you could just see his head moving sideways. I still think of that story and how you made me laugh until no sound came out. Oh, what fun. Just think, that is fifteen years ago now. No, actually sixteen! Good lordi. Goooood Loooooord!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
lots of love to you my deer friendxx

6:17 AM  
Blogger Jeope said...

Mr. Pod, I enjoyed my peek at this site - which I found, oddly enough, through online friend Ben's Alaskan photo-blog. Thanks for the nice few minutes!

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story. It brought tears to my eyes. I think you are not only a weird Pod but also a sensitive, deep-thinking Pod.

5:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice... lots of sky, I like that ;)

6:09 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

This is definitely a big-sky photo, worthy of Montana. (The "Big Sky State," for those of you not in the U.S.) I was going to say something silly about not knowing there are deer in England...but then I remembered the stag in the movie "The Queen." So of COURSE I knew there are deer in England. I just forgot.

1:45 AM  
Blogger Inconsequential said...

Dama Dama Dharma, i was expecting a post about Jeffrey...

7:05 PM  
Blogger Pod said...

RW - hurrah! you are back and smiling. good to see you again. hope all is swell

SIMON - i know not what to say except it takes one to know one. i think we established that a while ago. i take much comfort in the understanding, and of course in the sherry that you have reintroduced into my life. and n'er fear, bluster away to your big hearts content!!

TESS - are you to become a figment of my imagination now too? do not be gone for long. please. i let you hold my kitten....?

LETTUCE - ain't you a card? dama dama dama is actually the name of the species. come back come back!! ramble!! i like it ;0P

CLAMMY - ther has been a bambi theme these past fews days. molly has never seen bambi can you believe?

JA - and pray tell, what is your full judeo-christian name, so that i can coax you out of doors?

WEND - aah how sweet. would you like a small pod figurine to put on your dashboard also?

MOLLY - i was actually thinking of the other zak story when i was writing this. one of the funniest moments ever! i must see the photo of you in the woods. i forgot that it is known also for bluebell time. oh how i miss the green green grass of 'ome xx

JEOPE - pleased to make your acquaintance you little fat bird!

FAYE - i am pleased that you have seen my other side. do you need a tissue? ;0)

TR3NTA - what a strange name. how does one pronounce it? thank you for your comment ;0)

STEVE - oh silly ol' you ;0P

INC - one often doesnt find what one expects, does one?

THANKS EVERYONE!!

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home