Sunday, October 22, 2006

FAREWELL TOKYO

OK folks, this is the final Tokyo post. Just a few pictures that didn't really fit into the other posts, but worthy of a nosey I think. First off is a building in Asakusa. Asakusa was one of my favourite words to say. It is pronounced 'a-sock-sa' and is said fast. I thought I sounded very authentic saying it, so I would often ask the way to Asakusa even though I didn't want to go, just to impress with my accent. Try it, it is a nice word to say. A-sock-sa, A-sock-sa, A-sock-sa.

A-hem, onwards......The building is designed by Philippe Starck, his Flamme D'Or building. It is his version of the foamy head atop a decent beer apparently. The locals charmingly refer to it as 'unchi-biru' which literally means 'turd building'. I am never sure of his work. Striking yes, but hmmm, I don't know. It kinda looks like a huge bird that eats gold has flown by and left a useful little gift.....



I much preferred the building next to it, especially the design of the windows at the top. The reflection of light on this building looks great in the picture above (click to enlarge)..........



I thought that these plainly designed apartments in Harajuku were more effective against the grey skies of Tokyo. There was something about all the different shades of grey, and the lettering that appealed to me. For the same reason, I really liked this photo taken with the keen eye of Mr Reed. His photos are very cool in the eyes of Pod, I strongly recommend a peek or two.



More greyness, with a dash of reindeer, one of my favourite animals. They are strong and beautiful, and always catch my eye. I think this was a jewellers. I liked the lines, the greys, the logo, and the reflections..........



I love wandering around buildings, and I also love wondering around buildings. Construction can excite and disgust at the same time. I find cranes scary, but I am unsure why.......



I had to add this, if only for my lovely lovely sister, Lilleth Fair. The man in the box looks like a waxwork dummy of her crazy neighbour Nick, who once bought what he believed to be hens, but were infact fighting cocks that pecked the hell out of his poor wife's ankles everytime she tried to hang out the washing. His goat also used to terrorise my mum when she came home late at night. Those that don't know me probably have a picture right now that I grew up in a farming area, but no, a regular street. These are but two examples of Nick's idiosyncrasies......



This caught my eye too, not sure why.......



As did these three pots and all the white......



And finally, I chanced upon the Steven Klein and Madonna X-static Process exhibition in the Loius Vuitton store (don't worry I wasn't shopping there). It was the opening night, and all these ultra cool Japanese people were going in. I walked by a couple of times, and then thought 'oh what the heck!' and waltzed in as if I had been invited, and got handed a glass of champagne. So I got to see the exhibition midst the coolest of the cool of Tokyo. There were some great shots. I took some pictures, and something happened to my camera at one stage, resulting in this.....................



Right, well that is it. Thanks to everyone for having a look, and for all your great comments. I loved Tokyo, and I will return. Jules, if you are reading, thank you so much for making my visit extra special. I am looking forward to your return to Oz!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

13 Comments:

Blogger Molly Bloom said...

That last picture is so avant-garde. I love it! I love the idea of you sneaking into the exhibition. I can imagine you skipping in and then sipping your Champers. How wonderful. Looking forward to your next pics.

7:39 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

I agree, the gold building next to the stupid turd is far more interesting!

Those 3 pots are so appealing against the white, and I love that last picture.

And you have a sister called Lilleth - thats such a fabulous name, I love it.


(loved the statues in clothes in the previous post too, esp. all those little smurf babies)

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn it! I can't find my
'I love your photos Pod'
stamp!

But I do! :O)

It looks such a fab place especially through the eyes of Pod!

Are your wishes coming true yet I wonder?
x

8:21 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

That Phillipe Starck building is hideous. (Allow me not to mince words.)

I love the photo of the white pots agains the white wall; very peaceful and minimalist, with nice lines. And in the photo above that: I think I've seen that sticker around NYC! I also like the reindeer shot.

Thanks so much for the link! :)

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I get credit because Pod and Steve are flirting? I think it was my blog that played matchmaker? Ha!

Well, I'll miss the Tokyo series - loved it, and loved your recent story about sneaking into the exhibition (I would have done the same, especially if Madonna were involved). Looking forward to the next pictures from Pod!

6:21 AM  
Blogger Pod said...

MOLLS - i havent heard the word avant-garde for ages! miss you! x

LETTUCE - hello again. hope you are having an ok weekend? maybe we should all meet up in tokyo and rock that golden poo until it falls into the river. Lilleth is the best (hope you are reading big sis!).

TRAC - yes, my wishes are coming true. i always wish for the same thing, and have since i was but a podule. i am sure it is working!

INC - i smile back at you!

STEVE - i thought you might like the pots one. i love the reindeer pic. i want to blow it up. my pleasure with the link. i will link you properly when i have time

MR ZACKO-SMITH - i think you need a smacked bottom! you cheeky boy. i am merely giving a nod to a cool photographer...what constitutes flirting in your eyes?.....could you perhaps be fantasizing?? he he. i shall get round to linking you too. i tried to redesign my blog this weekend but it all went wrong. glad you liked the tokyo pics....i'm not sure what to do next!

9:09 AM  
Blogger edwin s said...

Brilliant shots Poddy! Phillip Stark is my design guru!

I'm trying to figure out the adjustments I sent you. They're identical to mine so I'm wondering if I missed something. My eyesight is failing me...Oh dear!

2:01 AM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Really lovely photos Pod. I loved the black and white ones.

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very enjoyable read and shots are awesome. i liked the way you whisked yourself in that exhibition... classy girl =)

8:49 AM  
Blogger Pod said...

ELEUKTRA - love your little photo! i know what you mean about the cranes. i find it hard to stand near them, especially if they are on the docks or by water. odd. maybe i once came a cropper in the docks in days of old. i thought onbody would 'get' the powerbox photo, so i am pleased you liked it. i think it will look good big. will reply to you on your site very soon. hoorah!

ED - my good friend paul calls me poddy too. i like it. emailed you re the changes. thanks!

DL - where'd you materilaise from? welcome to podville!

JAZZINESS - i think you are confused.....

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did a huge yellow bird make that blob on the top of that building?!! Weird!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Pod said...

JOHN - yes, it is weird. i dont like it really

12:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

replica watches, ugg boots, ralph lauren pas cher, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike roshe run, chanel handbags, burberry, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp, louboutin shoes, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike free, jordan shoes, sac longchamp, uggs on sale, louboutin, nike free, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, prada outlet, air max, christian louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, replica watches, nike air max, louboutin pas cher, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, prada handbags, michael kors, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home