Wednesday, October 18, 2006

SHO-PPING

That is Japanese for shopping, and here are some shots of a day out shopping in Harajuku. I could not believe the amount of shopping to be done, and the size of some of the shops. Overload. Again I bought nothing (not always for want of trying; some shops don't let you try clothes on!), and spent most of the day staring at people. I could have taken so many photos of people, but I felt a little funny doing so, so I mainly took them from afar. Harajuku is a well known meeting place for teenagers in 'cosu-purei' (costume play) outfits. Basically they get dressed up as their favourite anime characters, or as cute little things. Most odd, but they look cool, and only the Japanese can get away with it. Here comes one now....



I actually saw a middle-aged man walking the streets dressed as Little Bow Peep, complete with crook and a very oversized bonnet, all in white, just walking around most nonchalantly. Not sure why I didn't take a photo, I think I was busy looking, but trying not to. Nobody seemed to bat an eyelid except me. However, it wasn't all weirdness, there certainly were beautiful people about too. Like this young lady......



Ain't she a picture? So much so, here's another.....



Omotesando is the main street, but there are loads of little side streets with smaller shops. I got lost, which was great, I love the feeling of being lost and not knowing what you will find. The street names are either unpronounceable, or rather unfortunate sounding, like this one for instance......



Harajuku is where I found the Snoopy farm, where they clone and fatten up Snoopies to make Snoopy curry. I just couldn't bring myself to go in..........



When the sun goes down, the lights come on, and things get interesting in a different way. This is where Scarlett Johansson sat drinking coffee and looking bored in Lost In Translation (note further proof of the cutesy obsession, with the kitten on the big TV screen).....



There are colourful lights everywhere.......



And it's not until you get a bird's eye view that you realise just how expansive Tokyo is. I didn't have my tripod with me, so this is the best I could do....



All the lovers come to sit and look out over the city. How romantic hey? Ooh, what's that I see? The Japanese version of a builder's crack (buildu craku perhaps?). Sorry......



Don't worry folks. The Tokyo series is almost done! I took so many photos, so winkling them down has been difficult, especially as I have never been good at winkling, have you?

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am absoultely terrible at winkling...especially if people are watching (seems that I'm winkle shy). ;-)

12:19 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

I've just discovered my browser is loading from its cache, not refreshing unless I tell it to. Naughty browser! I've missed your previous 2 posts.

Will now go and read them.

1:21 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

well, your photos aren't all diminishing my interest in visiting Japan. Which is a shame, as I'm sure I'll never get there.

But its so nice to visit via you and your great pictures.

That teenage dressing up thing is weird. Of course my 12 year old does it, but is goth and therefore cool.

winkling. hmmmm. I'm allergic to shell fish.

(not scallops though, which is good)

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the contrary - my worry is that the tokyo pictures will end podule.... that they have to some day..... Can't believe those cheeky pictures you took of me though - you could have at least waited until I was looking my best!

(Little Purl One here - I too am having problems in the place they call blogosphere.....)

2:36 AM  
Blogger Molly Bloom said...

Oooh...I like that lady with the pink dress. She is really pretty. What is happening to the blogosphere?

6:12 AM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Oh yes, she is lovely. Very fine collar bones. I have a thing about collarbones!

I really must go to Japan. I reckon you are employed by their Tourist Body really, Pod.

8:15 AM  
Blogger ramblingwoman said...

Tourist body Poddy!

I had to go back and look at her collar bones. She really is very pretty that girl. I thought for a mo, she was wearing a black bra on top of her clothes.

What a 'different' place Japan is Pod.

I think your camera is wonderful. What is it? The pictures have such wonderful definition and colour.

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm.... I'm sure I left a comment here earlier!!???

I need a little stamp that says
'I love your photos Pod'
on it. Then I'll just stamp it here everytime I drop by!

Japan looks just wonderful! Where are you planning on going to next?
x

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pod, thanks for visiting my blog - yours is very interesting and I"ll definitely be back. But you should change the name because you're not a bad photographer, quite the contrary (but I'm sure you know that and the title is ironic, right?)
To make your photos larger, the only way I know is to host them not on blogger - Flickr is where I started but I still couldn't make them large enough, so went to one I found out about called imageshack.us. You probably have to edit your template a bit to make more room for the larger photos too. I can give you details if you want - email me!

9:18 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Pod, I love the variety of your photos -- people, buildings, culture. You capture so much.

I recognize that spot from "Lost in Translation"! Like your photos, that movie made me want to go to Japan...

11:11 AM  
Blogger Pod said...

MR HOLYHOSES - pleasure sir. you should give winkling a go. looks like you'd be great at it, especially in your cuban heels. loved your moth story, i didn't half larf. thanks for gracing me with a visit. and chat away to lettuce at your leisure!

JD - come on now, i bet you're not, give it a try. we won't look....

LETTY - naughty browser! naughty! teenagers are certainly a rum breed. the japanese where a bit more inventive i thought tho...sorry letty's daughter! sorry you can't join in the winkling...you will just have to watch (what is this turning into?)

LPO - why you invisible? show yourself non-entity!! there's a few more to come, fear not....

INC - ;0P

MOLLS - i canny believe you posted that photo! goodness me xxx

KITTY - aren't you supposed to be working, not lurking in the shadows perving over collarbones? naughty!

2:18 PM  
Blogger Pod said...

RW - yes i was quite captivated by her. she was tall too. i use a canon eos3000N, a film SLR, but i just bought a new digital one after months of deliberation, and i'm still not sure...we shall see. thanks for saying nice things!

TRAC - thanks love, but your won wordsare better than a stamp! not sure where next, poss back to japan in feb but to ski up north, or thailand for new year or NYC......decisions decisons

JENNY - hello. yes i shall keep an eye on you too. and thanks for the offer of help, i think i am on the case, but will let you know if i fail. the title is actually from one of my favourite bands. see you again!

STEVE - glad you like the variety. with an eye like yours, you would love japan.

toodle pip folks and thanks for all the nice words x

8:09 PM  
Blogger Identikit said...

Aren't you forgetting your cleaning duties, my man!

I miss you when you are not around.

xxxx

8:17 PM  
Blogger Pod said...

hello again simon - yes, you are right. i ogten wish we still wore clothes like that. i think i would have been a little naughty.

8:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

replica watches, ugg boots, ralph lauren pas cher, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, nike roshe run, chanel handbags, burberry, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp, louboutin shoes, gucci outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike free, jordan shoes, sac longchamp, uggs on sale, louboutin, nike free, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, prada outlet, air max, christian louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, longchamp pas cher, polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton, replica watches, nike air max, louboutin pas cher, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton, prada handbags, michael kors, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louboutin outlet, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, tiffany and co

1:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors, hermes, michael kors outlet, converse pas cher, vans pas cher, true religion jeans, michael kors, nike roshe, tn pas cher, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, north face, nike air max, mulberry, coach outlet, nike air max, ugg boots, nike free run uk, north face, replica handbags, nike air max, sac guess, michael kors outlet, lululemon, true religion jeans, abercrombie and fitch, nike blazer, hollister pas cher, michael kors, new balance pas cher, hogan, oakley pas cher, kate spade handbags, true religion outlet, coach outlet, air force, burberry outlet online, vanessa bruno, ugg boots, timberland, ray ban pas cher, true religion jeans, coach purses, lacoste pas cher, hollister, burberry, ralph lauren uk, ray ban uk, michael kors

1:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

bottes ugg, ugg boots uk, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose uk, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry, moncler, hollister, marc jacobs, swarovski, juicy couture outlet, replica watches, canada goose, moncler, swarovski crystal, links of london, wedding dresses, moncler outlet, thomas sabo, karen millen, pandora jewelry, moncler, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, moncler, moncler, louis vuitton, moncler, louis vuitton, supra shoes, coach outlet, canada goose, toms shoes, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, doudoune canada goose, canada goose, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, pandora charms, canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, pandora charms

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home